Don’t we all get the cravings for all the summer snack foods when this beautiful weather comes around? … Dreams of s’mores, homemade pizza pockets on the campfire, chips and dip?
I think most of us can relate. Today I thought I would re-create the fabulous nacho dip my family used to make when we were kids… sour cream, cream cheese, salsa, allllll the cheese. This version is just as fantastic but packed with less calories and more nutritional benefits!
I made a few healthy swaps to the traditional well-known nacho dip and voila! It was a hit. Plain non-fat greek yogurt is a great swap for sour cream as it is packed with protein, calcium, and has no fat. The added black beans give a fibre and protein boost to this dish. Meanwhile, the peppers and tomatoes fire up the antioxidant content and Vitamin C! Give it a try
Bottom Layer 5:
- 500g (1 small tub) plain 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (I used Simply Organic’s Taco Seasoning.. great ingredients).
- 2 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp lime
- 1 tbsp Vegenaise (vegan mayo, or mayonnaise of choice)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- ground sea salt to taste
- *mix all ingredients together in a bowl*
- 1/4 large onion, diced and chopped finely
- 1-2 large avocados, smashed and mashed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- *Mash all ingredients together in a bowl – guacamole consistency*
- 1 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- *Layer on top of the avocado layer*
- 2 large garden tomatoes, diced and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced/chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, diced/chopped
- 1 orange pepper, diced/chopped
- 1 tsp freshly minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- *Dice/Chop and mix together in a bowl and spread over the beans*
Layer 1 (the top):
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese of your choice.
- Make each layer separately one at a time in their own bowl and mix ingredients together. Starting with Layer 5, once all ingredients are thoroughly mixed, spread into a baking pan or Tupperware container.
- Continuing layer 4-1. Adding one layer on top of another one at a time.
- Store in the refrigerator until consumption.