Apple Cider Vinegar has been making headlines all over lately…so what’s all the hype about? I’m writing this post to give you a short and sweet description of what Apple Cider Vinegar is and what it may be beneficial for.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar? Apples are crushed and their juice is added to barrels or casks along with yeasts to ferment the natural sugars. The result is alcohol. Next, the bacteria are added to convert the alcohol to acetic acid. Finally, the mixture is allowed to ferment for weeks or months, depending on the maker. During this time, non-toxic goo made up of yeast and acetic acid bacteria forms within the mixture
What is “the mother”? This is the goo that I mentioned above. Some companies choose to pasteurize and strain out the goo. Others keep the goo for potential health benefits.
What may be the benefits to consuming apple cider vinegar with “the mother”?
- May help fight infections and promote a healthy immune system
- May improve blood pressure and cholesterol
- May decrease your risk of diabetes and heart disease
- May help maintain a healthy gut
- May improve calcium absorption
- Vinegar is associated with cancer fighting properties similar to antioxidants
- May help with acne when used as a natural toner (balance the pH of your skin)
- May help with weight loss
How can you drink it? Mix 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar into a large glass of water. Add a teaspoon of natural honey.
For more information visit Bragg’s website: http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html