*This recipe is a low carbohydrate alternative to regular pizza dough. It can also be made gluten-free.*
TIP: If you do not want to end up eating your pizza with a fork and knife, I recommend going light on the cheese or cooking both sides of the crust before doing your toppings. How? Cook the crust for ~10-15 minutes until browning and then use a plate to remove the crust from the parchment paper. Slide/place the cauliflower crust back on the parchment paper so that the bottom side is now turned up. Bake for ~10-15 minutes again until this side is browning. After both sides are baked – add your toppings and put in the oven one last time.
Prep time: 10 minutes.
Crust Cook time: 10-15 mins (more if you are cooking both sides)
Total time: ~40 minutes
- 1 bag of fresh or frozen cauliflower florets (500g)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan (from container)
- 2 tbsp spelt flour (or gluten-free flour of choice.. e.g. almond meal)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ¼ tsp ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cheese cloth
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Place the chopped cauliflower florets in the food processor. Pulse for approximately 30 seconds until the cauliflower resembles snow.
- Place the ground cauliflower in the microwave-safe container. Microwave for 3 minutes covered.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- Place cauliflower on the cheese cloth and ring out as much water as you possibly can. (Squeeze as hard as you can! The more water removed the better your crust will turn out).
- When finished removing the water, place the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl.
- Add every ingredient except for the egg. Mix.
- Add the egg last and stir until the mixture is fully blended together.
- When evenly combined, spread and pack down the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make into your desired shape.
- Bake for ~10-15 minutes until browning. Remove from the oven.
- Add your favourite pizza sauce, toppings, and whatever your heart desires!
- Bake for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy 🙂