Today I thought I would do a spotlight on the benefits of oranges.
- Oranges are a great source of natural sugars (carbohydrates) to provide your body with energy.
- Oranges are PACKED with Vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a role in the healthy growth of bones, teeth, skin and other body tissues.
- Vitamin C also helps with the absorption of iron from plant-based foods! Neat right? So, if you are vegan or vegetarian make sure to get enough Vitamin C in your diet because it will help you absorb iron from your plant foods like beans/legumes.
- Vitamin C also plays a role in maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Oranges are high in potassium, which makes them a great post-workout snack. Potassium is an electrolyte that we lose in our sweat during exercise. Potassium is a mineral important to maintain the health of your nerves, bones, kidneys, and muscles.
- Food tip: Skip the orange juice and opt for the fresh whole fruit to get all the benefits. Why? During juice processing (“pasteurization”), the high temperatures destroy the good stuff! We lose fibre, nutrients, and enzymes. After processing, we have a drink full of sugar, calories, and no nutrients or fibre. (I like to call this empty calories).