As we know, cold and flu season is upon us! First and foremost it is always important to maintain a healthy diet, always stay hydrated, and staying physically active. However, sometimes the season starts to take us down even if we are following all the basic measures. So what else could help boost your immune system further?
Tips to fight cold and flu season:
- Boost your Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a key antioxidant that supports a healthy immune system. (oranges, peppers, or try a Vitamin C supplment)
- Try Echinacea tea or supplements. Echinacea is a herb native to the Rocky Mountains. It may play a role in lowering your risk of getting a cold or may make cold symptoms less severe.
- Chicken Soup! Chicken soup and other warm liquids may help fight inflammation. Additionally, it may soothe a sore throat and relieve congestion.
- Try to add Probiotics to your diet. Probiotics are good bacteria that keep your gut healthy. Probiotics may help improve your overall immunity. (kefir, probiotic yogurt, probiotic supplements, probiotic chia seeds, etc)
- Prebiotics feed probiotics! These are carbohydrates your body cannot digest fully (oats, barley, flaxseeds, etc).
- Try to incorporate antioxidant rich foods in your diet. Antioxidants help to protect your body’s cells from damage. (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, green tea, broccoli, etc)
Remember the 3 best ways to maintain a healthy immune system starts with a healthy nutrition plan, physical activity, and staying hydrated! Adults needs ~2.7L of fluids per day.