I avoid most cereals and store bought granolas as they tend to be packed and filled with high sugar content, high fructose corn syrup, and many other unnecessary ingredients. Making my own granola to top on yogurt, nut milk, on fruit, and just for snacking is my favourite!
Ingredients (Makes ~2 cups):
- 1 1/2 cup Hilray Large Flake Oats
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (I used GoGo Tricolor Quinoa)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Ground sea salt to taste
- Optional: add almonds, nuts, additional seeds, cranberries or raisins (my fav).
- *I try to limit the added sugars to my granola. If this is mixture is not sweet enough for you, add in a touch more of coconut sugar, or maple syrup or honey.*
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small mixing bowl. Combine all the above ingredients together one at a time with regular mixing.
- When completely mixed, spread and pack down the granola mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for ~20 minutes until browning with regular mixing to ensure the outsides do not over cook.
- Remove from the oven and pack down with a spatula again. Allow to cool and harden if you would like it to be chunky.