Hi guys! I thought I would share a tid bit about Matcha powder as it is becoming very popular in our culture today for its great health benefits. Today I made myself a matcha latte at home to combat the cold I am currently fighting and I realized I haven’t written about it before.
What is Matcha?
- It is a potent, powdered, and more concentrated form of green tea.
- It contains caffeine. You will get more caffeine per cup (more than double) in comparison to a cup of regular steeped tea.
- It is high in antioxidants. Antioxidants known as polyphenols are found in green tea and found in higher amounts in matcha powder. Antioxidants protect your body’s cells from free radical damage (e.g. pollution, cigarette smoke). Antioxidants may help lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and much more.
- How to consume it? Traditionally, matcha has always been consumed as a beverage and began to be used during meditation practices. Now you can find recipes from matcha lattes, matcha smoothes, all the way to matcha brownies. So whatever you’re into… I’m sure you can find a recipe for it! (check out foodgawker.com). Starbucks also serves matcha latte’s, also known as a “green tea latte”. Try it out for your next order: “Green tea latte, made with soy or coconut milk, with 1 honey” ….maybe 2 honeys depend on your level of sweetness 😉 …let me know what you think!
How to make yourself a matcha latte at home?
- 1- 1.5 tsp matcha powder (David’s Tea has great matcha!)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup steamed/frothed milk (I use Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Cashew Milk)
- Add honey to taste (1-2 tsp)
Directions: Boil your water and froth/steam your milk. When complete, whisk matcha powder and hot water together in a beaker. When matcha is completely broken down, pour this mixture into your mug, and add the frothed milk on top. Stir in your honey 🙂 voila!
You can also add all of these things to a blender and mix if you do not have a milk frother. You should heat the milk first and add all ingredients to blender, blend. Enjoy.
Until next time.. have a great weekend friends!