October is the last month that you will find broccoli in season in Ontario, therefore, I wanted to give you a reason why to grab it local while you still can!
Broccoli is a great source of:
- Folate: cannot be made in the body, helps make red blood cells
- Vitamin C: needed for growth and repair of skin, teeth, bones, and other tissues
- Vitamin K: helps heal wounds, maintain blood vessels, and keep your bones healthy
- Provides a source of fibre: maintain a healthy digestive system
- Potassium: needed by your bones, kidneys, nerves, and muscle for proper function
- Vitamin A: maintains normal vision, keeps immune system, skin, and eyes healthy
Ideas to incorporate more broccoli in your diet:
- Incorporate broccoli in your egg omelettes/quiches. Try my Egg White Cup Recipe HERE!
- Eat raw with hummus for a source of protein
- Make a homemade broccoli soup (avoid soups that use heavy cream base)
- Have a stir fry and mix broccoli in with many vegetables for dinner! My Pineapple Stir Fry Recipe linked HERE!