Gluten-free, dairy-free and nutrition packed bars made with only whole ingredients.
I was looking to make bars similar to one of my favourite brands, KIND bars. However, I had no almonds and nuts in the house so I decided to do a puffed quinoa bar version instead using whatever ingredients I could find! They are actually SO good and quite easy to make!
What you will need (makes ~6 small bars):
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond butter, softened
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond meal/flour (or you could use coconut flour)
- 1/2 tsp ground sea salt
- 3/4 cup puffed quinoa (can be found at Bulk Barn)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- Optional: dark chocolate chunks (at least 70% cacao).
- Preheat oven to 300°F (149°C). Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper with enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars from the pan. Set aside.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix the honey, vanilla, almond meal, salt, and almond butter together until combined. Fold in the puffed quinoa, pumpkin seeds, hemp, peanuts, raisins, and optional dark chocolate chunks (at least 70% cacao).
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan and press very firmly into an even layer. You really want it packed in tight- as tight as possible. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack for 1 hour, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 1 more hour. This helps firm up the bars which makes them stay compact. Remove bars from the pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into bars. Individually wrap each bar in plastic wrap or parchment.