Fish tacos are a much healthier switch up from the traditional beef taco (they are lower in fat and calories). Also, since I do not eat beef I always want to find creative ways to change up traditional dishes with fish or vegetarian alternatives! These fish tacos were absolutely delicious and packed with flavour and nutritional benefit.
This recipe here serves 2 people:
What you will need:
- ~5 Corn Tortillas (I used Mission’s gluten-free yellow corn mini tortillas)
- 2-3 tilapia loins (I usually buy the big bag of individually frozen tilapia from Costco)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Ground Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Optional: Blackening Seasoning
- Light the barbeque. Allow to heat on med-high heat.
- On tinfoil, add olive oil, lay your thawed fish in the foil. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, spritz with lemon juice, and blacken seasoning if desired.
- Prepare your Corn and Bean Mixture while the BBQ is heating. See below.
Ingredients for Grilled Corn and Bean Mixture:
- 1 can of corn niblets or frozen corn (341 mL)
- 1/2 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Sprinkle of ground sea salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- In a BBQ safe dish, mix together all of these ingredients and stir.
- When the BBQ is heated, place the fish on the grill in the tin foil. Place the grilled corn and bean mixture on the BBQ as well but, place this burner on low-medium heat.
- While these cooking (~20 minutes), prepare toppings. Your fish will be complete when it begins to flake when touched with a fork/knife.
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Fresh salsa
- Plain 0% green yogurt (instead of sour cream.. a healthier alternative).
- Other options if desired: shredded cheese, cilantro, lettuce, etc. Make it however you’d like! 🙂