Ahh!! We all love one-dish quick and easy meals. Right? Especially if they’re healthy ones. This Mexi-Quinoa bake is healthy, quick, delicious, and has just the right amount of spice. This recipe uses ground chicken instead of the traditional use of ground beef. Quinoa instead of rice. Nutritional yeast to lower the use of cheese. AND non-fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream. SEE! It is so easy to make delicious dishes with healthy ingredients.
Ingredients (makes 4 large servings):
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 lb ground chicken
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chili powder
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cup frozen corn niblets
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (can be found at bulk barn)
1/4 tsp cumin
2 tbsp shredded marble cheese/cheese of choice
0% plain greek yogurt
Freshly chopped tomato
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a small pot, bring quinoa in vegetable broth to a boil, lower the heat, then allow to simmer until cooked (~25 minutes). **Follow the regular quinoa cooking directions on package ..just replace the water with vegetable broth for extra flavour**. You can also use chicken broth too.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add olive oil and the ground chicken. Break up the chicken with regular mixing. Add in the chili powder and garlic.
3. While the chicken is cooking, prep your vegetables. Chop and dice and put in a bowl. You will add the veggies and more garlic to the chicken skillet when the chicken is fully cooked.
4. When the ground chicken is cooked thoroughly (no pink throughout ~20 minutes cook time), add your diced/chopped vegetables.
5. Saute veggies with the chicken on medium heat for about 7-10 minutes. Turn oven on to preheat at 350F.
6. When quinoa is fully cooked, pour it into the bottom of a casserole dish.
7. Add the chicken/vegetable mixture on top of the quinoa layer.
8. Add the last top layer – sprinkle the chili powder, nutritional yeast, cumin, and cheese evenly across the top.
9. Bake on 350F for ~17 minutes and broil for the last 2 minutes.
10. Top your dish with plain greek yogurt (healthy alternative to sour cream), tomato, and cilantro…..and ENJOY 🙂
Nutrition Facts: (per 1 LARGE serving):
38 g protein
18 g fat
28 g carbohydrates