These pretty little babies are gluten-free, refined sugar free… and technically if you want to remove the dark chocolate chips/drizzle (I think not) they can be dairy-free. YUM YUM YUMMMM.
Ingredients (Makes ~ 8-10 bars) :
1 1/2 cup Cocoa flavour Brown Rice Cacao Crisps Cereal from One Degree Organic Foods
1 1/2 cup Hilray Gluten-free oats
1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup natural almond butter (from Farmboy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp natural honey
1/2 cup pitted dates, microwave for 40 seconds with 1 tbsp of water to soften, then mash
3 tbsp egg whites
1 tsp ground sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (1/4 cup for in the mix + 1/4 cup for drizzle on top)
1. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. Microwave 1/2 cup of dates (7-10 pitted dates) for 40 seconds until softened. Mash thoroughly. Add to bowl.
4. Add the rest of the wet ingredients with thorough mixing. Add in 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips.
5. In a baking pan lined with parchment paper, bake for ~30 minutes until the edges are browning.
6. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate chips and drizzle on top of the bars once they are slightly cooled. Grind sea salt on the top and voila!
7. ENJOY 🙂
Nutrition Facts (per 1 serving): 180 calories, 10g fat, 5.3g protein, 21.7 carbohydrates.
**Tip of the day: Don’t be afraid of FAT on the label. If it is real food with REAL ingredients, the fat can be very beneficial to your health. We all need fat in our diet. Fat is essential to protect our body’s cells, is a primary source of energy (especially in those who do endurance training), and unsaturated fats play an important role in heart health.**