Hello!!!! …. it’s me!!!
I am back in Canada and back with my OVEN! WOOO! So of course I rushed into the kitchen to create some new recipes.
Today’s creation was a Mexican casserole/lasagna type dish. I used Food For Life‘s gluten-free brown rice tortillas to make the layers. It is an easy filling dish to make for a potluck, a one dish dinner, etc…. with only 135 calories per serving!!! There are 2 layers. Layer 1 consists of peppers, tomato, onion, and Enchilada sauce. Layer 2 consists of ground chicken, habanero peppers, beans, corn, cheese, and enchilada sauce. You can easily tweek this recipe to be vegetarian by removing the chicken and swapping for extra veggies, beans/lentils, or cooked quinoa.
Ingredients (serves ~12):
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 lb lean ground chicken
1 pack (6) Food for Life brown rice tortillas
3 large tomatoes
1 Habanero pepper
1 cup corn, frozen
1 cup black beans, rinsed drained
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
1 package (8oz) Enchilada Sauce (I used Frontera Red Child Enchilada Sauce from Farmboy)
Sprinkle grated cheese on top
- In a large skillet, sauce the peppers and onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- In a large casserole dish, spread olive oil on the bottom and then distribute tortillas to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Add the sautéed peppers on top of the tortilla layer. Add the chopped tomatoes to this layer. Distribute half of the enchilada sauce evenly on this layer.
- Cook the ground chicken on medium-high heat in the skillet with regular mixing. Add 2 tbsp of chili powder and 1 tbsp of cumin.
- Add another layer of tortillas on top of the veggie layer.
- Add the cooked ground chicken on top of the tortillas. Add 1 chopped habanero pepper, the corn, beans, distribute the rest of the enchilada sauce, and add cheese as desired.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of chili powder and 1 tbsp cumin evenly about the top.
- Bake at 350F for ~20-25 minutes. Put it on broil for the last 5 minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- ENJOY!! (nutrition facts below)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Fat:5.7g (2.2 saturated)