Everyone loves lasagna on cool winter days. It is such a hearty meal but, the traditional lasagna has a bad rep with all that cheese, ground beef, and refined carbohydrates (white pasta!).
So, since I was craving something like lasagna… I decided to make one with a healthy twist. This lasagna is made from quinoa, eggplant, and veggies. The only cheese it contains is the little bit that I grated on top. Instead of ricotta or cheese in the inside – I created a layer using Skotidakis Jalapeño Greek yogurt dip.
As a vegetarian dish, low in fat, and with protein coming from the quinoa… it is completely guilt-free.
1 cup uncooked red/white quinoa
1 can diced tomatoes (796mL)
1.5 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cups spinach
1 medium sized eggplant (chopped into circles)
1.5 cups Skotidakis Jalapeño Greek Yogurt dip (COSTCO! duel packs for a better price 🙂
+ desired amount of shredded marble cheese
2 cups marinara (I used white linen marinara sauce from costco.. all natural ingredients– avoid marinaras that have sugar on the ingredient list).
1. Cook 1 cup of quinoa as per package instructions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, in a large bowl combine diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, oregano, basil, and crushed garlic. Mix.
3. Put the tomato base into a large baking dish. (layer 1)
4. Saute peppers and red onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet for ~10 minutes to soften.
5. Quinoa should be finished cooking now, add it into the baking dish on top of the tomato layer.
6. Using washed and trimmed spinach, make a spinach layer on top of the quinoa.
7. Disperse eggplant circles evenly on top of the spinach layer.
8. Add the sauted vegetables on top of the eggplant layer.
9. Spread 2 cups marinara sauce over this vegetable layer.
10. Spread 1.5 cups Skotidakas Jalapeño Greek Yogurt dip on top of this marinara layer.
11. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top as desired.
12. Preheat oven to 350F – bake for 40 minutes until brown. Broil for 5 minutes to help with browning.
13. ENJOY!!! 🙂 Add ground pepper and salt as desired. My mom also added a little bit of parmesan on top of hers!